It is currently Wed Oct 17 2018 5:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 09 2018 8:17 am 

How many updates will we have for this one then! (14 pages for the last season)

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014

PostPosted: Wed May 09 2018 12:03 pm 

....never forgetting, of course, that "we don't deal in rumours"

:twisted:

PostPosted: Wed May 09 2018 6:11 pm 

I'll start it!

2018/19 squad list

Tom Thorley

PostPosted: Wed May 09 2018 6:24 pm 

I was thinking about the squad after last night and obviously we need greater strength and depth to achieve the play-offs. Mixed feelings though as there is no-one I particularly want to see the back of.

PostPosted: Wed May 09 2018 7:40 pm 

I saw 13 games this year and based just on what I saw, I'd definitely try to keep:

Wren
Curley
Mendez-Jones
Thorley
Fitzgibbon
Glover

Some I am in two minds about would be:

Bailey or Oji, not both
Gatter
Lawrie
Rea, but not if we keep Thorley

Unlike previous years, there is no-one I've taken a real dislike to in the squad this year, just some who I don't think will get us promoted.

Priorities for recruitment would be some leaders, goals from midfield and to create a squad who want to play for each other and the club.

PostPosted: Wed May 09 2018 7:48 pm 

I’d try to keep Wren, Curley, Mendez Jones, Oji, Thorley and Glover. If we can do better than what we have I’d replace the rest.

PostPosted: Wed May 09 2018 7:57 pm 

I would keep:

Wren
Mendez-Jones
Curley (strangely not in the 16 last night)
Oji
Gatter
Thorley
Glover

PostPosted: Wed May 09 2018 10:07 pm 

Lee K wrote:
I would keep:

Wren
Mendez-Jones
Oji
Gatter
Thorley
Glover

Some agreement so far!

I had a chat with a few players after the Altrincham game and Matt Curley said he was cup-tied for the final.

PostPosted: Wed May 09 2018 10:17 pm 

Pitmanchester wrote:
Lee K wrote:
I would keep:

Wren
Mendez-Jones
Oji
Gatter
Thorley
Glover

Some agreement so far!

I had a chat with a few players after the Altrincham game and Matt Curley said he was cup-tied for the final.

Thanks Pitmanchester, that explains that one. When the preview said that Rob had a full squad to pick from I thought he hadn't made the 16.

PostPosted: Thu May 10 2018 7:07 am 

Sorry... We can't keep Mendez-Jones as none of our proofreading team can spoll "Callam"

PostPosted: Thu May 10 2018 9:51 am 

I'm not sure where all of our current players are residing and has we have now moved into this appalling so called central league any northern based players may not be to happy about it.
But that apart I have seen thirty six matches this season and I don't believe it's about which individual players should stay or go but about the management team deciding on the style of football they wish to play and who out of our existing squad would best be employed in it.
My experience is that at times certain players can improve by playing in a team that plays a different style of football and one which suits a players strengths and negates his weaknesses.
For example a smaller forward could be asked all season to play a central roll on his own when he would be better suited to playing off a big strong centre forward.
Having said that I thought the two full backs have done well ie Mendez Jones and Curley.
Gatter is young and I think could develop into a typical strong physical stopper.
Up front you can't argue that without Glovers goals we would be stuffed.
Finally Tom Thorley is a good player but he did hit a bad patch which is not surprising with all the changes that keep being made.
Has for the other players I guess it's up to the management team who they see has fitting into their plans.

Frederick Rinder

PostPosted: Thu May 10 2018 4:23 pm 

Glyn wrote:
Sorry... We can't keep Mendez-Jones as none of our proofreading team can spoll "Callam"

No, but they can spell pedant.

PostPosted: Thu May 10 2018 4:27 pm 

The Beerhunter wrote:
Glyn wrote:

No, but they can spell pedant.

and Mupput! (muppet)

PostPosted: Thu May 10 2018 7:33 pm 

I would keep Wren. The rest can leave although we all know R & L have their favourites and tend to stick with what they know. A vast overhaul is needed with a style of player suited to a more footballing league, rather than kick and boot, rough and ready NPL style.

PostPosted: Thu May 10 2018 7:44 pm 

Scramble Harry wrote:
I would keep Wren. The rest can leave although we all know R & L have their favourites and tend to stick with what they know. A vast overhaul is needed with a style of player suited to a more footballing league, rather than kick and boot, rough and ready NPL style.

We have to wait and see if R & L are still here, there is no guarantee.

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 10:51 am 

Now Rob and Larry are confirmed, here is my list;

Wren, Curley, Mendez-Jones, Gatter, Thorley, Glover, Lawrie without doubt.
Would be happy to see Bailey, Oji, Fitzgibbon, Fitzpatrick back for another year.
Anyone else I would not object to seeing in the squad although clearly we need to improve on last year in terms of strength and depth.

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 4:44 pm 

2018/19 SQUAD

Tom Thorley

TBC

James Wren (GK)
Jose Veiga (GK/coach)
Ben Bailey
Sam Oji
Callam Mendez-Jones
James Lawrie
Joe Fitzpatrick
Jack Rea
Louis Harris
Joey Butlin
Reece King
Danny Glover
James Fitzgibbon
Matt Curley
Charlie Gatter

DEPARTURES SINCE LAST SEASON

Anthony Dwyer - Altrincham

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 5:50 pm 

Lee K wrote:
2018/19 SQUAD

Tom Thorley

TBC

James Wren (GK)
Jose Veiga (GK/coach)
Ben Bailey
Sam Oji
Callam Mendez-Jones
James Lawrie
Joe Fitzpatrick
Jack Rea
Tom Thorley
Louis Harris
Joey Butlin
Reece King
Danny Glover
James Fitzgibbon
Matt Curley
Charlie Gatter

DEPARTURES SINCE LAST SEASON

Anthony Dwyer - Altrincham

Let's not start this again it's pointless

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 5:55 pm 

PitmanKeith wrote:

To be fair, Lee's list is 'slightly' different!! :mrgreen:

Del wrote:
http://www.hednesfordtownfc.com/?p=10816&preview=true

Squad Latest

James Wren (GK)
Jose Veiga (GK/coach)
Ben Bailey
Sam Oji
Callam Mendez-Jones
James Lawrie
Joe Fitzpatrick
Jack Rea
Tom Thorley
Louis Harris
Joey Butlin
Reece King
Anthony Dwyer
Danny Glover
James Fitzgibbon
Matt Curley

Charlie Gatter (loan till end of season from Gainsborough Trinity)

Desean Martin (out on loan - dual registration)

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 6:07 pm 

Del wrote:
PitmanKeith wrote:
Jesus lets not start this again it's pointless

Del wrote:

Squad Latest

James Wren (GK)
Jose Veiga (GK/coach)
Ben Bailey
Sam Oji
Callam Mendez-Jones
James Lawrie
Joe Fitzpatrick
Jack Rea
Tom Thorley
Louis Harris
Joey Butlin
Reece King
Anthony Dwyer
Danny Glover
James Fitzgibbon
Matt Curley

Apart from TT we don't have any players since the season ended therefore a long list of possibilities is, as I say, pointless.

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 7:06 pm 

PitmanKeith wrote:
Del wrote:
PitmanKeith wrote:

Del wrote:

Squad Latest

James Wren (GK)
Jose Veiga (GK/coach)
Ben Bailey
Sam Oji
Callam Mendez-Jones
James Lawrie
Joe Fitzpatrick
Jack Rea
Tom Thorley
Louis Harris
Joey Butlin
Reece King
Anthony Dwyer
Danny Glover
James Fitzgibbon
Matt Curley

Apart from TT we don't have any players since the season ended therefore a long list of possibilities is, as I say, pointless.

I just knew you'd love it!

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 7:16 pm 

The geographical shift south should see a recruitment policy that sees many of the squad being made up of West Midlands-based players. Having Rob and Larry in charge gives us a boost in the market as they are well-respected, knowledgeable and have excellent contacts. It's a small pool of players we are fishing in with other sides in the locality, so convincing a player to join us instead of Stour / Halesowen / Redditch / Rushall / Stratford / Bedworth will be key for Rob and Larry. Any push towards the top of the table (which I would expect - no pressure!) will require a decent number of changes

Staying (hopefully)
Thorley - contracted
Fitzpatrick - decent ball player, but frustrating. Still young. Lots to learn
Mendez-Jones - really like this lad. Loads of potential. Adaptable. Still reckon he could turn out to be a better centre-back over time
Curley - excellent for three months, a bit sloppy in the final two months. Another young player with a lot to give and a lot to learn. Worth persevering with
Bailey - will be here if R&L are here. Needs to prove his general fitness. A stone overweight and positionally suspect at times last term. Gives the squad continuity

After that, geography may dictate the futures of a number of squad players. Lawrie, Glover and Rea are Cheshire/North Staffs-based, so you're asking a lot of them to make the extra journeys south. Rea and Glover should be on the radar of step two sides, whilst Lawrie's reputation will see him picked up by a step two or step three side easily. Fitzgibbon's trek from Gloucester can't be easy, same as Reece King's from Worcester. Again, a big ask for them to do more travelling across the country and back when they have other step three clubs on their doorstep

Wren will move on to fresh surroundings, with Stourbridge fans confident he's on his way to them at the SSC Final. Not exactly a step up is it? I like Oji - excellent organiser and good experience to call upon, but not mobile enough. As Pitmanchester alluded to, it's either him or Bailey, not both. The rest of the squad, for me, isn't quite up to the standard required - too many cheap squad fillers, has-beens and step four/five plodders

The wish-list could get overly-optimistic if you allow it to, but the budget will only stretch so far; A big, experienced step three forward is a must, with a young, pacy forward to compliment a big man. Two streetwise centre-backs in the mould of McCone and Pierpoint at Stour (thought Pierpoint was excellent at St. Andrews) would build from the back, with a no-nonsense defensive midfielder protecting the back and allowing the likes of Thorley to play his natural game. Thorley's best spell for the club in recent times was when he had Simeon Maye behind him mopping up. Wingers have always been popular at Keys Park, particularly left-wingers, so a tricky, pacy wide-man would be welcome.

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 8:19 pm 

Anthony Dwyer as signed for Altrincham then (on twitter him signing) one gone already, and again no mention on the HTFC twitter feed or website

PostPosted: Fri May 18 2018 11:49 pm 

cds wrote:
The geographical shift south should see a recruitment policy that sees many of the squad being made up of West Midlands-based players. Having Rob and Larry in charge gives us a boost in the market as they are well-respected, knowledgeable and have excellent contacts. It's a small pool of players we are fishing in with other sides in the locality, so convincing a player to join us instead of Stour / Halesowen / Redditch / Rushall / Stratford / Bedworth will be key for Rob and Larry. Any push towards the top of the table (which I would expect - no pressure!) will require a decent number of changes

Staying (hopefully)
Thorley - contracted
Mendez-Jones - really like this lad. Loads of potential. Adaptable. Still reckon he could turn out to be a better centre-back over time
Curley - excellent for three months, a bit sloppy in the final two months. Another young player with a lot to give and a lot to learn. Worth persevering with
Bailey - will be here if R&L are here. Needs to prove his general fitness. A stone overweight and positionally suspect at times last term. Gives the squad continuity

After that, geography may dictate the futures of a number of squad players. Lawrie, Glover and Rea are Cheshire/North Staffs-based, so you're asking a lot of them to make the extra journeys south. Rea and Glover should be on the radar of step two sides, whilst Lawrie's reputation will see him picked up by a step two or step three side easily. Fitzgibbon's trek from Gloucester can't be easy, same as Reece King's from Worcester. Again, a big ask for them to do more travelling across the country and back when they have other step three clubs on their doorstep

Wren will move on to fresh surroundings, with Stourbridge fans confident he's on his way to them at the SSC Final. Not exactly a step up is it? I like Oji - excellent organiser and good experience to call upon, but not mobile enough. As Pitmanchester alluded to, it's either him or Bailey, not both. The rest of the squad, for me, isn't quite up to the standard required - too many cheap squad fillers, has-beens and step four/five plodders

The wish-list could get overly-optimistic if you allow it to, but the budget will only stretch so far; A big, experienced step three forward is a must, with a young, pacy forward to compliment a big man. Two streetwise centre-backs in the mould of McCone and Pierpoint at Stour (thought Pierpoint was excellent at St. Andrews) would build from the back, with a no-nonsense defensive midfielder protecting the back and allowing the likes of Thorley to play his natural game. Thorley's best spell for the club in recent times was when he had Simeon Maye behind him mopping up. Wingers have always been popular at Keys Park, particularly left-wingers, so a tricky, pacy wide-man would be welcome.

Thorley and Glover are both based in the north of the County and travel in together so if Tom stays, Danny might as well.
At the HTFCSA Meeting Mr Price said we had one player on contract, who we so know is Tom and two others who the Club had an option on for another year which they were going to exercise. You'd guess that these were Danny and Wreny so Stourbridge fans may be a bit premature.
I'd also be looking to keep Mendez-Jones who seems to enjoying his football again and Fitzpatrick who could develop into a very good player, the same with Reece King.
As Alty have signed Dwyer, maybe we can get Mason Walsh back?

PostPosted: Sat May 19 2018 5:08 am 

The Beerhunter wrote:
cds wrote:

Staying (hopefully)
Thorley - contracted

Thorley and Glover are both based in the north of the County and travel in together so if Tom stays, Danny might as well.
At the HTFCSA Meeting Mr Price said we had one player on contract, who we so know is Tom and two others who the Club had an option on for another year which they were going to exercise. You'd guess that these were Danny and Wreny so Stourbridge fans may be a bit premature.
I'd also be looking to keep Mendez-Jones who seems to enjoying his football again and Fitzpatrick who could develop into a very good player, the same with Reece King.

I would love Walshy back but I think he is a Manchester lad which if correct could be a problem.
I thought TT lived in Cannock but again I may be wrong.
Thought Lawrie was local as well ??

PostPosted: Sat May 19 2018 6:42 am 

sean7htfc wrote:
Anthony Dwyer as signed for Altrincham then (on twitter him signing) one gone already, and again no mention on the HTFC twitter feed or website

He looks absolutely thrilled! :mrgreen:
(I wont mention the spolling either)

PostPosted: Sat May 19 2018 9:18 am 

PitmanKeith wrote:
The Beerhunter wrote:
cds wrote:

Staying (hopefully)
Thorley - contracted

I would love Walshy back but I think he is a Manchester lad which if correct could be a problem.
I thought TT lived in Cannock but again I may be wrong.
Thought Lawrie was local as well ??

There were rumours at the beginning of last season (elsewhere, of course) that Tom was moving from Cannock to Stafford and therefore people were putting two and two together to suggest he was leaving for them, until the club announced he had signed a two year deal with us.
I assumed Lawrie lived up north as he played for Altrincham for 6 years but I don't know. His previous clubs only include Port Vale and Telford so that doesn't give much else away.

PostPosted: Sat May 19 2018 9:18 am 

Darren Bent is available...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/44057195

PostPosted: Sat May 19 2018 9:23 am 

sean7htfc wrote:

Frankly, with us only having one remaining contracted player, I don't see it as any part of our club's responsibility to announce that ex-players have found new clubs

It was on our "Old Player Watch" thread as soon as the news emerged: 2.23pm Friday

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71&start=3150

PostPosted: Sat May 19 2018 11:11 am 

Glyn wrote:
sean7htfc wrote:

Frankly, with us only having one remaining contracted player, I don't see it as any part of our club's responsibility to announce that ex-players have found new clubs

It was on our "Old Player Watch" thread as soon as the news emerged: 2.23pm Friday

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71&start=3150

Dwyer was part of the squad last season, so he wasn't an "ex player" until he signed for Altrincham on Friday - his new club, so technically the club should have posted something.