It is currently Tue Oct 27 2020 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17 2020 6:20 pm 

Huffed and puffed through another uninspiring ninety minutes and well beaten again by a better team; the scoreline flattered us over the ninety minutes. Didn’t agree with the 4-2-1-3 formation - far too naive and gung ho for an away game - and couldn’t understand why we didn’t change it up when we got back into it at 2-1. A shame Gregory gave away the penalty as it was the only thing he did wrong all afternoon with a string of good stops. No midfield presence once again that allowed Rushden to break at will from deep and cause all sorts of issues on the counter with their pace. The core of their squad has been together for years and their confidence in each other showed - something you can’t just go out and buy
Quote:
They really tried their best today and worked hard.
Stick with these lads and Keenen and get behind them. There are a few new faces so it's going to take a bit of time for them to gel. Their attitude and commitment is 100% there - give them your support ⚽ UTP
Fully agree that the effort is there Steve, but we won’t win many games through just hard work and will continue to sleepwalk our way into a relegation scrap if we don’t fix the yawning gaps in quality between ourselves and any side even remotely decent. Expect another busy week at KP and another period of upheaval to come folks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17 2020 7:26 pm 

The game at Royston is a big one. They have started very slowly and we have to get something from it otherwise we will be mired in the bottom three and it will be hard to attract players to come to us.

Sweeney turned in a sensational 50 minutes last week and clearly his influence on us is huge. If he does leave at some point then we will be in enormous trouble.

I'm sure KMR realises that we need to improve the squad urgently and this will probably be achieved by bringing in loan players from higher up the pyramid, but these players have to be experienced and not kids.

It's nice to see two young lads being moved up to the senior squad, but I hope they don't get much time on the pitch as it simply will not work.

Step 3 is a tough proposition for younger players and we need a squad that is hardened at this level - kids and step 5 signings is a recipe for disaster. We've been there before much to often.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17 2020 7:54 pm 

I admire your optimism Steve but hard work isn’t going to get you very far when you are not very good. We were poor in defence and midfield again today. Even when we defend it is desperate, last ditch stuff. There is not enough of anything in midfield and the three up front doesn’t work for me either.
Gregory made some good saves in one on one positions but I have no idea why he dived in to give the penalty away. If I remember correctly their lad was on the byeline and going nowhere and he’s given the referee a decision to make.
Sam Griffiths was a model of consistency in a strange season last season but this year he has been poor and he had another nightmare today. I don’t know how a player so good from last season can be so poor this time around. Taylor Allen played most of the game at left back and then somehow spent the last 20 minutes as a striker. What was all that about? He had an ok game, nothing special.
Bailey and Mendez-Jones get little help from midfield and as I say, it is last ditch defending. They generally play well but I am concerned about Bailey. He is so slow this season and his positional sense needs to be perfect to get away with it and he didn’t today. We were led a merry dance by Christopher Wreh who also terrorised us playing for Stratford last season in the away game there. Thompson is not good enough and was anonymous, Hallahan was a bit better but had limited impact, and Dodds can’t seem to play 90 minutes. Turner always works hard but needs to be in the middle for us to get the best out of him, he is having limited effect where he is and Danny didn’t seem to get into it today. Sweeney is by far our best player, scored a great goal and had their defence on toast in the first half but wasn’t given the ball enough second half. Flanagan came on and showed some good touches and should certainly start the next game ahead of Hallahan or Thompson. We hit the post and the bar in the first half so we aren’t getting a lot of luck but bemoaning those chances is avoiding the issue. Rushden weren’t that good but make no mistake the better team on the day won the game and we got what we deserved.

I went to Nene Park a couple of times when we played them in the Conference so I’ve always wanted to go to see them where they are now. It is a nice, tidy little ground just past Rushden town centre and it all seems a right fit for them for the club that they are. The one way system they were enforcing in the ground was annoying though for first timers when you don’t know where anything is, you walk past something that you wanted and have to go all the way around the ground to get back to it again, but this is the strange world we are living in at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17 2020 9:22 pm 

Keenan post-match interview

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17 2020 9:45 pm 

Fair play to Keenan, no glossing over it...

And loving Dan’s “faffing about” description too :-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17 2020 10:48 pm 

Quote:
This is the first time I’ve been on the supporters coach - are we able to park our cars at Keys Park for the day?
Was that a good idea then Steve? :think:

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
HTFCSA #2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18 2020 8:08 am 

Match report here: https://www.hednesfordtownfc.com/2020/1 ... sford-town

HTFCSA 'Supporter of the Year' 2014
HTFCSA #2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18 2020 9:10 am 

fair comment Keenan but you ain't going to get what you expect with this set of players
if we get a new manager let's hope he clears out the deadwood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18 2020 10:44 am 

Quote:
Quote:
This is the first time I’ve been on the supporters coach - are we able to park our cars at Keys Park for the day?
Suspect you know the answer, appreciate not run by the club but have said previously that there needs to be some sort of club oversight with the supporter's coach on the day.
Didn't get all things right but there was structure to how the Travel Club run, Ken took bookings, I booked and organised the coaches and Phil took charge of logistics of travel on the day, it is this last part that needs oversight with the new away travel arrangements.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18 2020 11:00 am 

Highlights

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18 2020 11:16 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Lol, apart from standing outside Keys Park for an hour when we got back waiting for the players coach to arrive so the gate could be opened, I was impressed.

Coach was smart, clean and comfortable. Covid compliance was good - will certainly use the coach again in the future to get to a few away games.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18 2020 12:08 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol, apart from standing outside Keys Park for an hour when we got back waiting for the players coach to arrive so the gate could be opened, I was impressed.

Coach was smart, clean and comfortable. Covid compliance was good - will certainly use the coach again in the future to get to a few away games.
That's good to here, sure they'll get the key situation sorted, did you have to wear a mask on the coach?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18 2020 12:14 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's good to here, sure they'll get the key situation sorted, did you have to wear a mask on the coach?
Only when we got on and off. They had a seating plan so we were all spread apart on the coach. Once you were seated, you could take your mask off.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18 2020 12:28 pm 

I think Dan called it right when he used the word 'faffing'. Our keeper made several fine saves, but the majority of these arose from either our defence or midfield being dispossessed far too easily.
This might upset some, but we don't have players who are comfortable on the ball - the highlights indicate this - , but we do have pace at the top end of the pitch. I'd be more inclined to be a little more direct and to play the ball into the corners and to turn the opposition defence.
I know this will be selling out in the eyes of some, but we aren't Barcelona (of old). We are in a pretty poor state and lack the necessary physicality and finesse to mix it in midfield.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19 2020 3:05 pm 

Quote:
But it might have a comforting smell? Good for the youngsters in the squad.

I've really learned something here.
Glad to be of service, I may try and include the Rockwell and Brinell hardness scales in forthcoming threads.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20 2020 5:34 pm 

Quote:
Glad to be of service, I may try and include the Rockwell and Brinell hardness scales in forthcoming threads.

Now that's just showing off.

But I'll look forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 2020 5:19 pm 

I’m pleased to see me wanting a Rushden burger has resulted in such a blossoming bromance between you two :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 2020 7:09 pm 

Quote:
I’m pleased to see me wanting a Rushden burger has resulted in such a blossoming bromance between you two :-)
:) I've always admired Beerhunter's scientific knowledge!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22 2020 11:40 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
:) I've always admired Beerhunter's scientific knowledge!
And rightly so.